Saturday, August 23, 2008

When two people really love each other....

Whoever said getting pregnant is easy is a bold faced liar. It takes much more than the backseat of a car or too much to drink (we have done one of those, I'll let you figure it out). Not everyone is a Fertile Myrtle and gets pregnant on their first try. Some people don't even get pregnant on the first 10 tries.
We tossed the Birth Control about a month before the wedding (sorry I lied about that, mom!) and decided to see what happened. We both knew I had some underlying fertility issues so we knew it would probably take a while. At first, my cycles were insanely short but I was prepared for that. I had been on the pill for a few years and knew it would take some time for my body to adjust itself. We charted in a very half assed manner (see for more information). We didn't pay too much attention to it though. Ben and I went to Charlotte, Cedar Point, out to late dinners and early breakfasts, slept in when we could and stay up way past our bed time almost ever night. We took our money and bought what we wanted (see the big screen LCD in the den!) and went where we wanted. Time passes and we are still not pregnant. My cycles stretched to 36 days, then to 50, then back down to 36.
So we got serious about charting. I temped religiously at 5:30 EVERY morning. It sucked. I'm not going to lie. Getting up at 5:30 on Saturday is not fun. But we got used to it. Ben was 100% supportive of everything I wanted to try. So we both loaded up on vitamins and supplements and Ovulation tests. I finally spilled the beans to my mom that we were having some issues. I had a few charts that showed no signs of ovulation at all and for those of you who skipped Health class, you can't get pregnant if your body does not release an egg. Mom started praying for us, I started praying harder.
On our last cycle (cycle 14 since coming off the pill) I was sure I was NOT pregnant. I felt better than usual, I went tubing on the lake with Ben and his parents, I had way too much fun with my family on the slip and slide at our reunion, I drank what I wanted, etc.
Exactly ten months to the day we got married we were so unbelievably blessed to get the world's faintest line on a pg test. I took it at home, alone while Ben was at work. I cried. Hard. I couldn't figure out if I was seeing things or if this was a true line. So I tested again. (Thank God for!) Another faint line. More tears. I sat on the floor in the bathroom and tilted those tests EVERY way they could go.
"Is it a line?"
" are seeing things."
I did some hard praying (and crying) on that floor. Only to look up and see the dog staring at me like I had lost my ever loving mind. I called Ben. At work. I begged him to come home. He wouldn't. Stupid job.
So I waited for him to get home. In the mean time, I spilled it to all my Nesties (Shout out, BOTB!). They chorused "A line is a line!" and congrats spilled over (along with more tears on my part!).
Ben FINALLY gets home and he clearly see's a line. I'm still skeptical.
I test again in the morning (ie: when you are SUPPOSED to test) and don't see a line. Owell. I head back to bed and hand Ben the test. He swears there is a line there. I get up from my warm bed and test with an EPT. I'm still half asleep but he again swears there is a line, so I send him flying down the road to the Kroger to buy some digital tests. (Did I mention I love him?!)
His accounts from the Kroger trip are hilarious to me. He couldn't find the tests anwhere, though I told him they were by the pharmacy. Poor Ben runs all over the store looking for the tests, the finally asks the woman at the pharmacy. She looks at my husband like he is growing three heads.
"Pregnancy test. I need a pregnancy test."
::looong stare from Pharmacy Girl::
"I need a pregnancy test. A digital one."
::Pharmacy Girl points to the test cabinet::
He speeds home and throws the tests at me.
Then we wait. And we wait. And we wait. Three minutes take 18 hours, I swear.

Then "Pregnant" pops up in the window and I promise you, my world stopped. Ben FLIPS out. I don't even think flips out describes it. I'm sitting on the couch in complete shock and he is already on the phone with the doctor getting my blood work set up.
Off to the hospital we go. I get my blood drawn by the nicest person EVER and I don't cry which shocks both me and Ben, being that I am terrified of medical needles. And we wait for my results to come back. And we wait. FINALLY they come back.
Beta: 29.1
Progesterone: 13.97
Then, the charming woman at the Dr's office tells me my numbers are entirely too low to sustain a pregnancy. I call Ben in a near hysterical panic. He quickly turns to Google (which I have learned, NEVER Google anything medical. It will scare the poop out of you). He sees my levels seem ok and gets more blood work for me on Friday.
Thursday lasts forever. We don't tell anyone but my mom, my older brother and Marci.
Friday comes, the blood work part this time wasn't so great. They had to stick me twice and I cried, but as usual, Ben was amazing. Then, we wait again. My numbers needed to double on the beta's and increase on the progesterone. I hold my breath when Ben pulls up the results on the computer (Yet another AWESOME reason I love him. I didn't have to wait for my results, he could get them for me instantly).
Beta: 77.9
Progesterone: 16.54
We're Pregnant.
Baby Phillips due May 1, 2009.
Please keep us in your prayers and thoughts. The first trimester is scary for me. We are so over the moon right now, but are cautiously optimistic.

No comments: