Friday, March 13, 2009

You gotta fight. For your right. To Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaartaaaaaay!


It is no secret that I am graduating this semester. I shout it from every roof top possible. I have busted my ass for the past seven (!) years to get where I am and I feel like I have the right to be really proud right now.

So, having said that, Marshall U likes to charge insane amounts for their students to participate in graduation ceremonies. By the time you add up cap and gown and graduation fees and all the other nonsense they make you pay for, you could purchase a small island. While discussing this with my dad, we agreed that a family get together at my grandparents house would be more fun and half the cost-and in the hard economic times, who isn't looking to save a buck?

Not to mention that is also the weekend following my birthday AND my last.final.exam.ever.(May 4). If you know me, you know how much I love my birthday. I get excited just thinking about it. I even celebrate my half birthday (which falls on November 4-send me a card).

And to add to the reasons for celebration, this gathering is also the weekend of our due date (May 7) with Buddha. I have been dreading this day since September 22 and know that it has the potential to be a not so fun day. I really want this to be a time of celebration and positivity and overall good feelings. I want to celebrate our baby and the life that he is living in Heaven. The larger part of me is looking forward to May 7 though. It will be closure. No more pregnancy milestones to miss out on, no more woulda-coulda's. Closure. There won't be any big "this should have been our due date" announcement, but it will linger in the back of our minds (Ben and I), so the more laughs and good times we can pack around this day, the better.


SO- if you are a member of our family, mark May 9, 2009 (it's a Saturday) down on your calendar. If you came to our wedding, you know we love to party, so expect something similar. If you were not lucky enough to attend our wedding and throw down, hold on to your hats. This is going to be an even that you don't want to miss.


Can't wait to see you all!

Hugs and Kisses


PS- If you are not a member of my family and want to be invited, EMAIL ME (the addy is right over----->)! Much love!

1 comment:

momqat said...

Got to pencil this onto the calender. Marshall is the way "higher education" is. Nearly 30 years ago, my critical care instructor (who was, by the way, Satan's sister--she was too old to be his daughter!!) accused me of not turning in my term paper. She told me that I was totally incompetent and she had no idea how I got into nursing school but she would make damn sure I wouldn't get out. This was 2 weeks before graduation, the semester after I was on the Chancellor's list for academic excellence! Long story short, Ma told me to go home and do my laundry. She was so calm and controlled that I just did it.My instructor called me and said that she had found my paper and I did, indeed pass. She figured my final grade so that I missed getting into Sigma Theta Tau by 0.3 points! Ma worked her magic on my behalf and gave me the miracle that I had prayed for.
Higher education hasn't changed much in 30 years!